The recipe for coffee jelly was born many years ago in England, and from there, it spread worldwide. This coffee recipe is very popular in Japan and has become almost traditional, which you can find in most restaurants and supermarkets.
Apart from its flavor, the most beautiful thing about this recipe is its easy preparation since we can make it with ingredients that we surely have at home. Below, I will explain how to make this simple recipe:
Ingredients for the coffee jelly
The first thing we need to make this dessert is to prepare the coffee. We can do it with any coffee maker.
Note: You can prepare espresso, add water and play with the ratio according to the intensity you like and the coffee flavor you want your jelly to have. I prepare my coffee for this recipe using the Chemex coffee maker.
For this recipe, we are going to need the following:
- 30 grams of coffee
- 17 ounces of water
We will be left with about 15 ounces of final coffee. Whichever method you use, add water until you have 15 ounces of coffee.
Steps for the preparation of the coffee jelly
- Once the coffee is extracted, we will transfer it to a pitcher and add 10 grams of unflavored gelatin powder to the hot coffee.
- Then, to the coffee with the gelatin, we will add 60 grams (or four tablespoons) of sugar and stir well until completely dissolved. But without stirring too much since we do not want to create bubbles.
- When the mixture is ready, we are ready to serve.
We have two presentation options:
- The classic Japanese. Place it in a square or rectangular mold and take it to the refrigerator for at least three hours. Once firm, cut the jelly from the mold into several squares of the size you like and carefully place them in a glass or cup.
- Quick presentation. It takes less time since we will directly put the gelatin mixture in the glass where we will serve it, then take it to the refrigerator.
For either of the two options you choose, this gelatin will be accompanied by whipped cream. You can buy it ready-made, or you can make it yourself.
Add the whipped cream to our coffee jelly, and it is ready to taste and enjoy.
Variations that can be made to this recipe
You can apply many variations to this simple recipe; surely, any of them will be just as delicious. Among the common ones are:
- Add ice cream, heavy cream, or condensed milk instead of whipped cream, and play with the flavors.
- Add chocolate to the preparation.
- Place the gelatin cubes in a glass with milk and drink it.
- Prepare the gelatin-based coffee with milk.
This recipe is delicious, and as you can see, it is very versatile. It is super easy to make if you want a dessert but do not want to cook something so elaborate, and if you are a coffee fan, it is perfect for you. Its ingredients are few and easy to find.