Last Updated on October 2, 2023 by Pablo Barrantes
As a coffee maker repair expert, I have received multiple requests for help from users complaining that their Senseo coffee maker is not working properly. Most of them believe that the problem is due to a mechanical or electrical fault in the machine, but the cause is usually a lack of good descaling.
Limescale is a silent enemy that can significantly affect the performance of your coffee maker, causing everything from a decrease in pressure to a bad taste in your beverage. Ignoring maintenance can lead to the deterioration of the machine’s components, causing malfunctions, lower coffee quality, and even shortening its useful life.
Descaling: The key to avoiding problems with your Senseo coffee maker
Descaling a Philips Senseo coffee maker is a task that you should not overlook. As an owner of one of these coffee makers, I know how important it is to perform this maintenance task to prolong the machine’s life.
One of the main advantages of descaling your Senseo coffee maker on a regular basis is to prevent the buildup of limescale that can damage the internal components of the coffee maker. In addition, descaling helps keep the coffee dosage and flavor consistent, which is especially important for those like me who appreciate a delicious and accurate cup of coffee.
Another advantage of descaling is that it can reduce the noise level during the coffee brewing process. The accumulation of limescale and other deposits can make the coffee maker work harder and generate more noise, which can be very annoying, especially in the mornings when the family sleeps.
If you have doubts about how to descale your Senseo coffee maker, don’t worry. In this article, I will guide you through the descaling process with clear and precise instructions that apply to each Senseo coffee maker model. This way, you can ensure you are doing it correctly and effectively.
What do you need to descale your Senseo coffee maker?
Before descaling your Senseo coffee maker, gathering all the necessary elements is important to ensure a successful descaling process. You will need the following:
- Philips Senseo descaler: You can use another universal descaler product, vinegar or lemon juice, although I recommend using the Senseo descaler if the coffee maker is still under warranty.
- A container: Preferably large to collect the remains of the descaling process.
- Coffee pad holder: You must use this during the decalcification process to make it effective.
- A used ESE pad: Here, you will use the ESE pad to create pressure in the circuit; therefore, the descaling liquid will work more effectively.
How often should you descale your Senseo coffee maker?
Keeping your Senseo coffee maker in perfect condition is essential to enjoy the best coffee with every cup. The frequency with which you descale it is key to achieving this.
I recommend descaling every three months, although this period can vary depending on how often you use your coffee maker. If you use it frequently, you may need to descale it more often. On the other hand, if you use it sporadically, perhaps less frequently is sufficient.
It is important not to overdo descaling, as excessive descaling can damage the machine. Ideally, not more than six times a year.
By following a regular descaling routine, you can prolong the useful life of your Senseo coffee maker and ensure that the coffee you prepare has the quality you deserve.
Step by step of the Senseo descaling process
Descaling your Senseo coffee maker is a simple process that will not take more than an hour:
- Fill the water tank to MAX with the added descaler.
- Turn on the coffee maker and wait for the indicator light to stop.
- Insert the used ESE pad and close the lid.
- Place a container under the coffee spout with a capacity of at least 1.5 liters.
- Press the two-cup button to start the descaling process (on some models, you must press the one-cup and two-cup buttons simultaneously).
- Fill the tank with clean water and make several preparations to clean the internal circuits.
- Thoroughly clean and rinse all moving parts of the coffee maker before using it again.
It is important to note that each model of Senseo coffee maker may have a different method for descaling. 👇
Senseo Viva Café: It includes a descaling function that is very easy to use. All you need to do is fill the water tank and mix it with the descaler until you reach the MAX mark. Then, simultaneously press the button for one and two cups, and the machine will handle everything.
Senseo Original: This machine does not include the descaling function. To perform the process, you must fill the water tank and mix it with the descaler until you reach the MAX mark. Then, press the 2-cup button, and the machine will expel any residue accumulated inside. Repeat until the water reservoir is empty.
➡ It is important to repeat the process until the tank is empty and the water comes out completely clean. Do not forget to change the water in the tank and add more descaler at each repetition. Do not reuse the water expelled by the machine to avoid affecting the cleaning process.