With its diverse varieties and preparations, coffee invites us to submerge ourselves in a universe of flavors and aromas. Among the many options that exist, the café bombón stands out as a delicious and tempting alternative for lovers of sweet and bitter contrasts.
This exquisite creation, originally from Spain, combines the intensity of espresso with the smoothness and sweetness of condensed milk. In this article, I will show you in detail what the is café bombón its origin, and I will guide you step by step in its preparation so that you can enjoy this delight in the comfort of your home.
What is Café bombón?
Café Bonbon is originally from the region of Valencia (Spain), where it is considered a local specialty. This delicious drink, known by various names such as “café leche y leche”, “café goloso” and even “café biberón”, has gained popularity beyond the Spanish borders and is enjoyed in different parts of the world.
As for the way it is served, it is traditionally served in a transparent glass cup, which allows you to appreciate the layer of condensed milk at the bottom and the intense dark color of the espresso at the top. This visually appealing presentation is the charm of café bombón.
You need a traditional espresso machine or an automatic coffee machine to prepare this delicious beverage. If you do not have either of these two options, I recommend using an Italian coffee maker.
The key is to prepare a concentrated espresso and then carefully add the condensed milk to obtain the perfect proportion of flavors.
What ingredients do you need to prepare a café bombón?
To prepare coffee bonbon, you will need the following ingredients:
- A cup of espresso coffee.
- Condensed milk.
- Spray cream, chocolate syrup, or cocoa to decorate the top (optional).
How to prepare café bombón: step by step
Here are the steps to prepare a café bombón:
- Prepare an espresso coffee: Use an espresso machine or a moka pot if you do not have one (30ml).
- Choose a suitable cup: Opt for a small transparent glass cup, which will allow you to appreciate the distinctive layers of the café bombón.
- Add the condensed milk: Pour a generous amount of condensed milk into the bottom of the cup.
- Pour the espresso: Pour the cup of espresso you prepared over the condensed milk. You will notice how a dark layer of coffee forms on top.
- Add the decoration: This step is optional since the traditional way is to drink without these ingredients. However, if you have spray cream, chocolate syrup, or cocoa, you can decorate your cup as you like.
- Enjoy and mix: Once you have added the espresso, you can enjoy the café bombón in layers, tasting the condensed milk first and then mixing it with the espresso to obtain the perfect balance of sweet and bitter flavors.
Note: remember that you can adjust the amounts and proportions of condensed milk and espresso according to your personal preferences.
Recommendation to prevent the coffee from mixing with the condensed milk:
- You will need a spoon to place near the condensed milk without touching it, ensuring the lumpiest part is facing you.
- Very carefully, pour the coffee slowly over the spoon, so it gradually disperses, avoiding a direct and strong impact on the condensed milk.
By following this simple trick, you can avoid the undesired mixing of the ingredients.
Café bombón and its evolution
The café bombón is traditionally made by combining equal parts of espresso and condensed milk in a small glass. However, with the growth of coffee culture and experimentation in the preparation of beverages, the café bombón has acquired new forms and variations.
Some of these variations include:
- Adding a touch of flavor: You can customize your café bonbon by adding complementary flavors. You can experiment with ingredients such as vanilla, caramel, hazelnut, whipped cream, or even chocolate syrup. These additions provide a more interesting twist to your cup of café bombón.
- Creative designs and presentations: In some coffee shops, café bombón coffee is served with artistic designs on the surface of the beverage, using techniques such as latte art. This adds an attractive visual element to the experience of drinking café bombón.
- Use of alternative milk: In addition to traditional condensed milk, alternative kinds of milk, such as almond milk, coconut milk, or oat milk, have also been used to adapt the café bombón to dietary preferences and food allergies.